Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 19: Hangin' with Mr. Cooper

Sick day today. Tsuchida Sensei took me to the hospital to make sure I didn't have "infuruenza", which I think might mean H1N1 here and not just what we would call the flu. I didn't want to go to the hospital but my hosts insisted. I've heard that they go to the hospital over even minor things here so I guess it's just a cultural difference. Anyway, their tests came back negative which relieved my Japanese hosts.

Tsuchida Sensei and I pretty much just hung out in his office all day today. I updated this blog (see day 18) and then Sensei started getting out photo albums to show me so I showed him some of the pics I have online too. He seemed to really like this (they include a lot of people he knows) and he asked how he could see more, so we made him a Facebook account. :-)

Sensei also gave me a copy of something he wrote a number of years ago which was translated into English. It talks about his experience during the war, some of the things he saw, and really goes into his personal feelings at that time and now looking back. It was really moving and he asked me to share it with people so I think I'll type it up and post it somewhere when I get back.

Slow day, but in the end a nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment